If you want to provide the following services in an establishment (fixed setting) in Wales you may need to register with us before being able to do so.
- Private dental practices
- Independent healthcare services
- Independent hospitals
- Independent clinics
- Independent medical agencies
You can register either as an individual (sole trader) or as an organisation (Ltd company).
Private dental practices
Private dental practices in Wales include:
- Dental practices that provide any amount of private dental care
- Dental care professionals (DCPs) who provide private direct access services from their own practice (dental hygienists, dental therapists and clinical dental technicians)
Independent healthcare services
Independent healthcare services in Wales include:
- Independent hospitals – Non-NHS establishments in Wales that provide any of the following:
- Medical or psychiatric treatment or palliative care together with inpatient (overnight) beds
- Listed services (regardless of whether inpatient beds are provided) which include the use of class 3B/4 lasers; use of IPL; circumcision of male children; haemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis; endoscopy; hyperbaric therapy; IVF.
- Treatment or nursing (or both) for persons liable to be detained under the Mental Health Act 1983
- Independent clinics – establishments in Wales where private only medical services are provided regularly by medical practitioners (General Medical Council (GMC) registered personnel)
- Independent medical agencies – a service that doesn’t have a fixed establishment (remote/online) where private only medical services are provided regularly by medical practitioners (General Medical Council (GMC) registered personnel), either individually or on behalf of a company and that individual/company is based in Wales.
Do I need to register with HIW?
Healthcare services are provided in a number of different ways and by a variety of healthcare professionals. We have produced information on who needs to register with us. This is provided as a general guide only. You must complete a registration query form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. A member of the Registration team will review the information and provide a written response on whether or not registration is required. We will also include information on how to register.
We have also developed some frequently asked questions to help answer your registration related queries. From dental to laser, our FAQ’s should be able to help you get some instant answers.
All private dental practices, private direct access practices and independent healthcare services must be registered with us as legally required by the Care Standards Act 2000.
Private dental practice legislation
Independent healthcare legislation
Guidance for Applicants , file type: PDF, file size: 166 KBPublished:166 KB
Registration Query Form , file type: DOC, file size: 143 KBPublished:143 KB