Skip to main content

Who needs to register with us?

Who needs to register?

If you want to provide the following services in Wales you may be required to register with us before services can be provided. You can register either as an individual or as an organisation.

  • Private dental practices
  • Independent healthcare services
    • Independent hospitals
    • Independent clinics
    • Independent medical agencies

Private dental practices

Private dental practices in Wales include:

  • Dental practices that provide any amount of private dental care
  • Dental care professionals (DCPs) who provide private direct access services from their own practice (dental hygienists, dental therapists and clinical dental technicians)

Independent healthcare services

Independent healthcare services in Wales include:

  • Independent hospitals – Non NHS establishments in Wales that provide any of the following:
    • Medical or psychiatric treatment or palliative care together with inpatient (overnight) beds
    • Listed services (regardless of whether inpatient beds are provided)
    • Treatment or nursing (or both) for persons liable to be detained under the Mental Health Act 1983
  • Independent clinics – establishments in Wales where private only medical services are provided regularly by medical practitioners
  • Independent medical agencies – a service where private only medical services are provided regularly by medical practitioners, either individually or on behalf of a company, based in Wales


We have produced guidance which will help you to decide whether you need to register with us. This is provided as a general guide only. Healthcare services are provided in a number of different ways and by a variety of healthcare professionals. Where there is any doubt that registration may be required, you are advised to contact HIW for advice by completing and submitting a Registration Query Form.

The law

All private dental practices, private direct access practices and independent healthcare services must be registered with us as legally required by the Care Standards Act 2000.


Last updated: