This report summarises the findings from our dental practice inspections in 2014-15.
We completed 77 inspections of dental practices across Wales during 2014-15.
What we found
- Most patients were satisfied with the care and treatment they received from their dental practice
- Most dental surgeries contained appropriate equipment for the safe care and treatment of patients and the safety of staff
- There were issues with decontamination procedures in some practices
- In over half of the practices visited the practice complaints procedure did not comply with the NHS ‘Putting Things Right’ arrangements for NHS patients in Wales
- Practices could improve how they give information to patients particularly around oral and dental health promotion;
- Practices should also make it easier for patients to know how to make a complaint and how to access dental care out of hours in an emergency.
- The majority of practices visited were clean and well maintained.
- There were problems with access for wheelchair users in some practices, particularly those located in converted houses.